[IAEP] Stat collection

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 02:12:01 EST 2009

Yes it is quite similar indeed, but I think it'd better be served with
python and telepathy as an activity from within  sugar, rather thn a
dlasbb /web app.I guess its mostly a personal thing, but I have an
exteme dislike of Flash based apps... In LTSP labs, for exmple, unless
u are running firefox+flash as local apps, fkash has a tendency to
bring the network to its knees. I havent considered how/why do use
d-tubes yet, but I'm sure there is a goiod way to use them. Karma
might be another way to do this, as long as it wouldn't require flash
(an unesccasary demand) Anyway, might be wiirth integrating int
another quiz app I did, pyqclic as it already has the necessary
underlying frameqork. I's bw happy to work with you on this
however.... if u are keen to port your prototype to python and use
telepathy bindings for collaboration. I guess need to figure out how
ti best use collbab here, but what comes to mind is, passing the app
around the class and having every student write a question for the
quiz, then have the teacher review, and export the finished product as
an XML document which would then be capable of running in Moodle,
inside Sugar itself, or even a web app.

btw, just read a little deeper and realise your end result would be
python too, a good choice... so what's holding u back from doing it
irght now? I also see that your aim is really a general multiple
choice quiz for whatever subject, while what I was getting at was more
of collecting statistical data on particular lessons. Even so, the
same framework could be used for both approaches. Anyway, pyqclic is
extremely similar except visual in that the teacher uploads an image
points and clicks on the image and then fills in the label. The
student then uses the tester to fill in the labels. I think we could
use a similar apprioach and even add it as another module, so the
teacher can choose which kind of quiz they'd like (visual, multiple
choice suubject based, or statistical, whatever else we've missed,
perhaps essay based quiz or something) Anyway, the real challenge is
how to use collab with this properly. I've gotten stuck on that oart
in pyqcclic for a whilke now... as my initial idea was to pass the app
from collaborating student to student letting each fill in a label. An
approach I can think of and like is this could be mixed with the
multiple choice, so that its a bit more random, yet still subject
based, so as to cover more ground.... with the abilitity to export the
whole quiz as an XML doc and import into Moodle or something else....
and perhaps have the statistical gathering as a totally seperate
module.... what do u think?

kind Regard,
David Van Assche

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 5:57 AM, ALEXANDER JONES (RIT Student)
<acj3840 at rit.edu> wrote:
> Please check out http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Teacher%27s_Tools
> it's a project that i've been working on and have posted several emails to
> several mailing lists about. It is extremely similar and i have gotten
> positive feedback from a few people about its usability. feel free to
> comment on it yourself if you're interested
>

> The new google wave stuff made me think of a maybe interesting
> activity that would be very easy to write but might be useful for
> teachers to gain feedback from their students, while treating them
> more as peers in the constructionist philosophy. The idea is, to have
> a a multiple choice like activity that would ask students about their
> experience of lessons.
>
> For example, lets say they have been learning algebra, the teacer
> could get them to launch an activity that asks questions like with
> multiple answers like:
> The most difficult part to learn was a) blah, b) bleh,  c) bluh, The
> most fun part was a)) glah b) gleh c) gluh
>
> What do u think would something like that be useful? The problem I see
> is that the teacher would actuallly have o create the questions and
> answers, so it might seem like too redundant. I guess the best way
> would be for the teacher to get the students to create these quizzes
> (for lack of a better word) would be very simple to create such an
> activity. Would there be ebnough demand and usage of such ab activity?
>
> regards,
> David Van Assche

Charles de Gaulle  - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_de_gaulle.html