[IAEP] SLs Chile and GNOME Chile

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 23:25:57 EST 2009

Hi Werner,
   I don't know if you know this, but both Sugar an Gnome share
identical code for collaboration and communication in the form of
Telepathy dbus api (http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/) The only
difference is that at the time their presence service was not so
advanced, so Sugar has its own. Telepathy has since really mattured
though, and mission control 5, that includes an advanced presence
service that hopeffuly some folks are porting to latest sugar,,

David Van Assche

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Werner Westermann <wernerio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Tomeu, regards from Santiago, Chile.
>
> GNOME community, as far as I know, it had a lot of ups and down in their
> effort to build collaborative work.  I really don't know if there's some
> counterpart to talk to.  This is no sin for any free-software community, but
> it gets hard to coordinate any kind of cooperation.  Where do you see that
> there's potential around Chile?  Are yo talking to chileans involved with
> GNOME?
>
> I must say that stimulating GNOMErs to work around Sugar could be a good
> idea, but I feel that should come from GNOME's vision and scope.  Two
> chileans are in GNOME's board (Germán Poo http://www.calcifer.org/ and
> Fernando San Martín http://blogs.gnome.org/fsmw/), and maybe they could
> help.  Is there any work going around SL and GNOME today?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> werner
>

> 2009/11/2 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> have you considered reaching GNOME Chile for cooperation? Sugar's code
>> is more than 90% from GNOME and the two upstreams regularly cooperate.
>>
>> There's lots of potential for resource pooling in the technical level,
>> and also in the advocacy for free software in education.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Tomeu
>>
>> --
>> «Sugar Labs is anyone who participates in improving and using Sugar.
>> What Sugar Labs does is determined by the participants.» - David
>> Farning

Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have
given us arms." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mike_ditka.html