No subject

Sun May 31 08:28:51 EDT 2009

> Among the changes which have been made are many improvements in
> interactivity and aesthetics, but the most critical change is using an HTML
> iframe element together with a special design mode that modern browsers
> support, in favor of the previous HTML textarea. This paves the way for
> developing a rich editing experience with collapsible templates and syntax
> highlighting, as well as provides a foundation on which a WYSIWYG editor may
> eventually be built upon.

       --Fred

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 19:00 -0700, Josh Williams wrote:
>
> > The content pane is set to a max width of 1020px and is fluid at smaller
> > widths. You're suggesting it should be wider right? Could you attach a
> > screen shot for both problems?
>
> Here we go:
>
>  http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org/go/Welcome_to_the_Sugar_Labs_wiki
>

> Why do we need to limit the maximum horizontal size at all? If I like
> the page to be laid out narrower, I can always resize the browser
> window :-)
>
> Perhaps we need to set a minimum width below which the page starts
> looking bad due to excessive wrapping. But hard-coded dimensions often
> bother people with hand-held devices.
>
> Is there an easy way for web designers to check compatibility across
> multiple browsers? I remember seeing a website that would take
> screenshots of any url with multiple browsers. I forgot its name.
>

> > I haven't actually styled the tables yet. The tables will overflow
> > horizontally on the live wiki now. You're only noticing this happen
> > because the font size is larger forcing the overflow. I can make the
> > font size smaller in the tables if you think the tables break at an
> > unreasonable width.
>
> That would be useful imho.
>

> > > Note that I have a very high DPI display and therefore I configure my
> > > browsers with bigger than normal fonts. Most sites survive this, but a
> > > few break.
> >
> > I think a screen shot will help for this one too. Thanks for the
> feedback.
>
> Please refer to the same screenshot I sent. It's not a Chromium specific
> issue, the layout is similarly odd in Firefox.
>
> To reproduce it, go to the font settings and enlarge the default fonts.
>

> > I'm contemplating removing the borders from the main content area. I've
> > attached a screen shot of this. I think it's more inline with
> > Christian's design for sugarlabs.org and it also avoids some rendering
> > issues browse has with borders.
> >
> > Any input on this direction would be great.
>
> I like it borderless! Like Frederick, I also feel that it would be good
> to have some elements reminiscent of the Sugar UI, but only as long as
> we can balance it with aesthetic needs. I met plenty of people who told
> me that our old skin was awful.
>
> --
>   // Bernie Innocenti - http://codewiz.org/
>  \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://sugarlabs.org/

--00163630fb2f9f2a270481b12186

ont-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; "><div><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px=
; ">If we are going to make significant changes to the wiki skin, it would =
probably serve us to base those=A0on the pending default MediaWiki software=
 and skin.</span></div>

eta has been announced,=A0<a href=3D"http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/m=
ediawiki-announce/2010-March/000089.html">http://lists.wikimedia.org/piperm=
ail/mediawiki-announce/2010-March/000089.html</a>, with new features suppor=
ting skin changes. They also will be introducing features to support a new =
default skin, Vector, developed by the=A0Wikimedia Usability Initiative, <a=
 href=3D"http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page">http://usability.wi=

ple-style-span" style=3D"font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; l=
ine-height: 19px; ">From the project blog,=A0<a href=3D"http://techblog.wik=
imedia.org/2010/01/babaco-enhancments/">http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/=

Apple-style-span" style=3D"line-height: 19px;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-s=
pan" style=3D"font-size: 13px; "><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D=
"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0.8ex=
; border-left-width: 1px; border-left-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); border-lef=
t-style: solid; padding-left: 1ex; ">

Among the changes which have been made are many improvements in interactivi=
ty and aesthetics, but the most critical change is using an HTML iframe ele=
ment together with a special design mode that modern browsers support, in f=
avor of the previous HTML textarea. This paves the way for developing a ric=
h editing experience with collapsible templates and syntax highlighting, as=
 well as provides a foundation on which a WYSIWYG editor may eventually be =
built upon.</blockquote>

v class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Bernie Innocenti <=
span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bernie at codewiz.org">bernie at codewiz.o=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div class=3D"im">On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 19:=
00 -0700, Josh Williams wrote:<br>
&gt; The content pane is set to a max width of 1020px and is fluid at small=
er<br>
&gt; widths. You&#39;re suggesting it should be wider right? Could you atta=
ch a<br>
&gt; screen shot for both problems?<br>
=A0<a href=3D"http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org/go/Welcome_to_the_Sugar_Labs_=
wiki" target=3D"_blank">http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org/go/Welcome_to_the_S=
ugar_Labs_wiki</a><br>
Why do we need to limit the maximum horizontal size at all? If I like<br>
the page to be laid out narrower, I can always resize the browser<br>
window :-)<br>
Perhaps we need to set a minimum width below which the page starts<br>
looking bad due to excessive wrapping. But hard-coded dimensions often<br>
bother people with hand-held devices.<br>
Is there an easy way for web designers to check compatibility across<br>
multiple browsers? I remember seeing a website that would take<br>
screenshots of any url with multiple browsers. I forgot its name.<br>
&gt; I haven&#39;t actually styled the tables yet. The tables will overflow=
&gt; horizontally on the live wiki now. You&#39;re only noticing this happe=
n<br>
&gt; because the font size is larger forcing the overflow. I can make the<b=
r>
&gt; font size smaller in the tables if you think the tables break at an<br=

&gt; unreasonable width.<br>
&gt; &gt; Note that I have a very high DPI display and therefore I configur=
e my<br>
&gt; &gt; browsers with bigger than normal fonts. Most sites survive this, =
but a<br>
&gt; &gt; few break.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I think a screen shot will help for this one too. Thanks for the feedb=
ack.<br>
pecific<br>
issue, the layout is similarly odd in Firefox.<br>
To reproduce it, go to the font settings and enlarge the default fonts.<br>
&gt; I&#39;m contemplating removing the borders from the main content area.=
 I&#39;ve<br>
&gt; attached a screen shot of this. I think it&#39;s more inline with<br>
&gt; Christian&#39;s design for <a href=3D"http://sugarlabs.org" target=3D"=
_blank">sugarlabs.org</a> and it also avoids some rendering<br>
&gt; issues browse has with borders.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Any input on this direction would be great.<br>
od<br>
to have some elements reminiscent of the Sugar UI, but only as long as<br>
we can balance it with aesthetic needs. I met plenty of people who told<br>
me that our old skin was awful.<br>
--<br>
 =A0 // Bernie Innocenti - <a href=3D"http://codewiz.org/" target=3D"_blank=
">http://codewiz.org/</a><br>