No subject

Sun May 31 08:28:51 EDT 2009

developed.

What is highly problematic is that all the existing mainstream heavy testing
machinery is at the level of skills. And what I am doing on the individual
basis is not currently scalable. I can't even explain many parts of this
highly intuitive, expertise-based process.

To address this problem, I just started to work on a crowdsourced rubric
that will probe personal meaning and significance of math, and later used
during interventions to help people track growth of math's significance in
their lives. I am now polling local parents who work with me, with some very
fruitful initial brainstorming happening among them. I am also meeting with
several people who have large QA sites or projects that can be used to
aggregate "sparse" info for crowdsourced projects. This may not happen fast,
because of my other tasks such as the math game design project, but we will
see what happens. I want this tool to measure the impact of my projects,
which we currently observe in a purely qualitative, case-study manner.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
http://www.naturalmath.com

Make math your own, to make your own math.

--0016362852122c089704819a3dea

=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:forster at ozonline.com.au">forster at ozonline.co=
rgin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding=
-left: 1ex;">

The strongest argument against is that any easily administered testing is b=
iased towards lower level skills (as defined in Bloom&#39;s taxonomy). That=
 would be OK, depending on how the data is used. Any attempt to modify teac=
hing in response, biases the teaching towards the lower level skills.<br>

In the Australian case, schools will be forced to confine their teaching to=
 lower order skills to maintain their ranking, preserve enrolments and avoi=
d criticism and funding cuts. In the case of RTI, it risks defining student=
 progress by a narrow subset of education skills and overly concentrating t=
eaching on this narrow subset.<br>

 the existing programs of this sort. When I plan interventions, I start wit=
h meaning and significance of math in the life of the person, their family =
and their social networks. Then some major concepts areas that can support =
and advance these meanings become apparent. From there, skills and tasks wi=
thin concept areas can be mapped and developed. <br>

sting machinery is at the level of skills. And what I am doing on the indiv=
idual basis is not currently scalable. I can&#39;t even explain many parts =
of this highly intuitive, expertise-based process.<br>

c that will probe personal meaning and significance of math, and later used=
 during interventions to help people track growth of math&#39;s significanc=
e in their lives. I am now polling local parents who work with me, with som=
e very fruitful initial brainstorming happening among them. I am also meeti=
ng with several people who have large QA sites or projects that can be used=
 to aggregate &quot;sparse&quot; info for crowdsourced projects. This may n=
ot happen fast, because of my other tasks such as the math game design proj=
ect, but we will see what happens. I want this tool to measure the impact o=
f my projects, which we currently observe in a purely qualitative, case-stu=
dy manner.<br>

--0016362852122c089704819a3dea--