No subject

Sun May 31 08:28:51 EDT 2009

wrap a [XO|TA|Unified] bundle in (yet another) layer of meta data or the
current bundle could be extended to include the necessary library meta data=
.

Once the bundle arrives at the server, we could extend the existing bundle
checker to extract the new meta data and insert the bundle into ASLO.

This gives users the ability either use the web interface or library
activity.

david

--0016e657b692a839ef048071c1e4

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Aleksey Lim <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:alsroot at member.fsf.org">alsroot at member.fsf.org</a>&gt;</span> wr=
ote:<br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); p=
adding-left: 1ex;">
 David Farning wrote:<br>
&gt; The other day during an infrastructure meeting, Walter brought up some=
&gt; thought on how to enable kids to exchange Turtle Art projects....<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Alsroot has been thinking about how to do this through a.sl.o since he=
&gt; became the <a href=3D"http://activities.sugarlabs.org" target=3D"_blan=
k">activities.sugarlabs.org</a> code maintainer.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The high level view is that someone can easily upload Turtle Art creat=
ions<br>
&gt; to somewhere and then they, or others, can go to a portal to download =
other<br>
&gt; Turtle Art creations.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Client side, this would require:<br>
&gt; 1. Adding a widget to either the journal or the TA activity to upload =
the TA<br>
&gt; Bundle.<br>
&gt; 2. Adding a TA bundle installer to handler TA Bundle downloads.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Server side, this would require:<br>
&gt; 1. A place to accept TA bundle uploads.<br>
&gt; 2. A search-able place from which to download TA bundles<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; We have some similar systems we can look to as examples.<br>
&gt; 1. Scratch -- Scratch has an upload button and users can download scra=
tch<br>
&gt; projects from -- =C2=A0<a href=3D"http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/bro=
wse/newest" target=3D"_blank">http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/browse/newes=
t</a><br>
&gt; 2. ASLO -- =C2=A0Users upload XO bundles via a web interface and downl=
oad via a<br>
&gt; web interface.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; My initial instinct is to see if ASLO can be adopted to fit this need.=
&gt; Primarily because we have it, it works, and it is scalable. =C2=A0On t=
he other<br>
&gt; hand, if the only tool in one&#39;s toolbox is a hammer, everything lo=
oks like a<br>
&gt; nail. (How is that for over using clich=C3=A9s and buzzword?)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Considerations:<br>
&gt; ASLO rocks:)<br>
&gt; ASLO can be adapted to handle various file types. =C2=A0For example:<b=
r>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3" tar=
get=3D"_blank">https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3</a><b=
r>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:2" tar=
get=3D"_blank">https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:2</a><b=
r>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Each file type can have a separate look and feel.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Is the activity creation and upload process too complicated for young =
users?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Moving forward:<br>
&gt; Would it be possible to journal or TA widget which:<br>
&gt; 1. =C2=A0Walks the student though a upload wizard.<br>
&gt; 2. =C2=A0Combines the TA project into a into a bundle with the metadat=
a generated<br>
&gt; in the wizard.<br>
&gt; 3. =C2=A0Sends the bundle to activites.sl.o/uploads<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Would it be possible to setup/adapt ASLO to:<br>
&gt; 1. Handle TA files types.<br>
&gt; 2. Accepts TA bundles+metadata uploads and inserts them into the revie=
w<br>
&gt; queue.<br>
eb uploading UI<br>
only, so we&#39;ll have to get rid of uploaders UI and use only browsing pa=
rt<br>
(thus will have to not trivial patching AMO).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; david<br>
there is also another way, implement it only in special activity<br>
_blank">http://idea.olpcorps.net/drupal5/ideatorrent/idea/19</a><br>
--<br>
=C2=A0 I don&#39;t know understand the journal well enough to understand if=
 it should be a separate activity, widget in TA, or Widget in the Journal.=
=C2=A0 But a good starting point might be a client side library (ALSO) acti=
vity which can push a bundle+meta data.=C2=A0 It will be an easier task cre=
ating a separate activity and proving it works rather than going straight t=
o a journal feature.<br>
r wrap a [XO|TA|Unified] bundle in (yet another) layer of meta data or the =
current bundle could be extended to include the necessary library meta data=
.<br>
dle checker to extract the new meta data and insert the bundle into ASLO.<b=
r><br>This gives users the ability either use the web interface or library =
activity.<br>

--0016e657b692a839ef048071c1e4--