[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Request for Artwork: Boot Screen

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sun May 31 17:54:36 EDT 2009

I like Gary's most recent one with the dots filling in color

I got halfway through a mockup with XO avatars appearing, then
Activity icons, but I feel using either will just be too confusing...
one could think network discovery was happening, or Activity loading.

After much reflection, I think the friendliest greeting we could offer
to Learners is a face, a Speakish one with eyes rolling around the
ring (and a growing smile) while the colors come on. There are still
many people who fell in love with their little Macs because of the
smiley face.

But... that's outside the Sugar HIG and I would think twice before
stepping outside of that. So I reread them and came up with this idea
(which I hope to mock up tomorrow): instead of dots, I want to do
oblong ovals like a big version of the Activity spinner graphic. I
searched high and low on sl.o and laptop.org for an SVG but only found
a lo-res PNG :-( so I'll just improvise ovals. What I like about
presenting the spinner is: immediate identification of a waiting
period, no confusion with other elements (the filled in dots are too
similar to networks in the Neighborhood view). Also I like that the
spinner has 11, not 12 dividers; that asymmetry is interesting and
remains clocklike. I like Gary's proposal of empty ones filled with
color which I'd like to keep. And... I'd like to start the middle XO
icon small (e.g. neighborhood view size) and step it up in size with
each spinner step; grow in importance as the system builds, until at
the end normal size.

As for the colors, I'm not sure I like the color pairs... I'd like to
try solid colors, moving through the spectrum rainbowlike. Less
Sugarish perhaps, but visually stronger might be.

Not sure if the initial logo flash is enough, but concerned that
keeping it around might fight the spinner ring.

Will have a visual tomorrow to show (holiday so I will have some time)

thanks

Sean