[IAEP] Dailymotion, Ogg video, and Sugar

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sun May 31 10:50:26 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 16:42, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 16:25, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I heard it's using non-free codecs, it isn't?
>>
>> Looks like that to me:
>>
>> this works: http://www.double.co.nz/video_test/test4.html
>> this doesn't: http://youtube.com/html5
>>
>> In Soas-2. Let's hope that google works fast and imitates dailymotion soon.
>
> I filed a bug report about 18 months ago re OGG support on Youtube...
> maybe the competition will urge them to move more quickly on this.

I have the impression that Google would move forward on this because
it's "the right thing to do", rather than because of fear to lose
market share. Though maybe what would get them moving faster would be
the public opinion thinking their competition are doing the right
thing and they aren't yet.

Regards,

Tomeu