[IAEP] CAST Universal Design for Learning Book Activity

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat May 30 15:21:29 EDT 2009

Hi,

I was playing with Jame's excellent Gutenberg book reader but I was
disappointed not to have pictures.  I think eBooks are an incredibly
important part of our vision and, once he makes a few in-progress UI changes
I think we should include it in SoaS.

I'm wondering if we can do something similar that searches CAST's UDL book
library.

http://bookbuilder.cast.org/library.php

The ones created for Mass Dept of Ed seem higher quality so maybe we should
just offer those for now even though there are only 663.  My current goals
are mostly to spark the imagination of of our testers and grant giving
organizations, plus if you are a first grader 63 books isn't too shabby a
library.

http://bookbuilder.cast.org/library.php?search=MASS&item=group&area=&genre=&gk=&g1=&g2=&g3=&g4=&g6=&g9=&sort=title&order=asc&page=2

Its flash and html so I know there are some complications, but showing kid
centric books, designed for universal learning and to accommodate kids with
disability would be very powerful.

Can anyone enlighten me about how this could be accomplished technically?

Thanks

--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove