[IAEP] [Marketing] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Request for Artwork: Boot Screen

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat May 30 14:12:54 EDT 2009

On 30 May 2009, at 18:50, Walter Bender wrote:

> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> [snip]
>> For Sugar, the new "Hello World" tutorial could be its boot
>> Activities for
>> Learners:  Each development tool (Pippy, Turtle Art, Etoys, others,
>> even
>> Forth) should provide an Activity to build the start-up sequence.
>> Learners
>> could play with the tools to build an endless variety of start-up
>> spots,
>> modify and preview from a library of saved sequences, learn all
>> sorts of
>> things about the system, the different tools, and of course,
>> designate one
>> sequence to display on the next boot.
>
> Fred has sparked an idea. What if we replace the dots with activity
> icons?

Hmmm, activities shown might not be installed and then lead to
confusion (unless you are considering the difficult step of pre-
generating boot graphics at shutdown).

There's a fine line between cool eye-candy – and there are plenty of
cool Sugary lickable animations we could try, activity icons being
one  – and boot UI feedback utility :-)

Now... If the technical boot stages could be made clear (device/
keyboard checks, network detection, certain key services, etc) it
could be of real use to have some simplified abstract icon for each
stage so you'd have an idea for what really might be going on (or
where a boot/hardware problem was) – but realistically that's more of
a long term UI opportunity**.

** Sebastian: Do you know just where/when each progress update is
triggered, and what major boot landmark could be sensible to visually
indicate success of?

Regards
--Gary