[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Request for Artwork: Boot Screen

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Sat May 30 13:12:13 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:58, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would not recommend customizing the splash/progress from within
> Sugar... boot time is often a tense moment fraught with impatience
> (especially after a freeze/crash) and predictability in how Sugar
> "usually" loads is I think desirable

I don't think it would be a problem, as long as the customization calls on a
regeneration of *static* images to display, rather than creating the images
at boot time based on configuration files. This way, there would be no
performance penalty. (wrt customization, we should limit it to things like
distro logos and the name of the school/lab)

Not to clutter it up, but it also might be useful to as well as a visual
indicator of the boot mechanism (SoaS vs. local booting vs. helper CD) so as
to assist in debugging etc.

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 13:07, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:

> For Sugar, the new "Hello World" tutorial could be its boot Activities for
> Learners:  Each development tool (Pippy, Turtle Art, Etoys, others, even
> Forth) should provide an Activity to build the start-up sequence.  Learners
> could play with the tools to build an endless variety of start-up spots,
> modify and preview from a library of saved sequences, learn all sorts of
> things about the system, the different tools, and of course, designate one
> sequence to display on the next boot.
>
> The work space is both sufficiently small and necessarily limited, so that
> robustness could be provided, while at the same time, the content of the
> sequences is limited only by the imagination.  Learners will be able to take
> pride in a working sequence based on their modifications!
>
> I imagine that simple cartoons with embedded, single point or short point
> lessons, messages, and humor would become popular.  Brief jingles would
> develop a currency like ring tones.  And so on, *ad infinitum*!

This would be difficult to do in a multi-user system, and even more so to
coordinate with implementing a bitfrost security model. Rebooting shouldn't
happen that often that the user has to care about customizing it.

Ideally, we should get the boot-time down to be short enough that you won't
even notice such things, let alone using the time for notifications or board
messages!

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc