[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 14, Issue 58

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Thu May 28 11:15:25 EDT 2009

Tomeu,

It is a fair statement to say that most PG books are in English.
However, if you go to the PG website you can list out books in various
languages, and there are a fair number in Spanish.  PG accepts out of
copyright books from everywhere, so if a country wanted more books in
its own language it could do the scanning, proofreading, etc. itself and
have PG host it.  I'd strongly suggest exploring the PG website.  They
have a lot to offer.  You can even create a custom CD with all the
Spanish books on it and download it.

See this page for Spanish books: (and links for other languages)

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/es

I wish I could have my offline catalog feature filter by language, but
the offline catalog does not list language for a book.  You can see what
it looks like here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/GUTINDEX.ALL

There is also a Project Gutenberg Europe:

http://pge.rastko.net/browse/languages/es

It looks like they have the same Spanish books as the regular site does.

The Internet Archive has lots of books, and they are in both PDF and
DJVU format, useable by the core Read activity.  No offline catalog from
them, unfortunately.  It looks like PG and PG Australia are the only
ones with an offline catalog.

Glad you liked the Activity.  If you can think of any improvements let
me know.  At the moment I'm thinking of ways to better split Title and
Author, as well as including the PG Australia catalog, which would add
over 2,000 books out of copyright in Australia but still in copyright in
the U.S.

James Simmons