[IAEP] Journal criticism

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed May 27 14:39:29 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 20:20, Lucian Branescu
<lucian.branescu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to Sugar, so I may be horribly wrong.
>
> But to me, the Journal seems more of an annoyance than anything else.
> A lot of the work I see done is towards bringing back some of the
> properties that regular filesystems have
>
> What advantage does it have as opposed to a regular filesystem with
> support for versioning and metadata? A filesystem would be more
> compatible with existing software (which could just ignore the
> metadata), at least.

I can very easily understand that for someone who is used to a regular
filesystem, the journal may seem as an annoyance when an attempt to
use it in the same way is done. The same can be said of any other
diversion in Sugar from how Windows/OSX behave.

Though, interestingly, many people have successfully switched from
files-in-folders-in-folders email clients to GMail. Maybe it is
because the journal is not as mature as gmail?

If I think that something like the journal is worth having, it is:

- because I can easily observe how non-technical users are unable to
find the files that they stored in folders some time ago, or forget to
save an important document, or modify a file that Firefox saved to
/tmp and it got deleted after a reboot, etc,

- because people working with children using Sugar have said it's useful.

I think it's very important if we want to keep pushing Sugar that we
distinguish between design decisions and bugs and unimplemented
features. If we bring down good design ideas not by themselves but
because of its implementation status, we risk ending up with nothing
that brings new value compared to existing desktops.

Note that I'm not going to the extreme of saying that we shouldn't
consider the feasibility of a design before pushing for it.

Regards,

Tomeu