[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 14, Issue 58

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Tue May 26 11:10:30 EDT 2009

Carol,

Over the long weekend I finished version 11 of Read Etexts and posted it
to http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4035.  I hope you
and everyone else will give it a try.

As for whether it will be of any use for those with unreliable net
access, I believe it will be.  First, a teacher or student can browse
the catalog with no net access at all, because the catalog is included
in the bundle.  Second, the books are downloaded very quickly.  A
teacher could spend an hour or so in a net cafe and download hundreds of
books, which she could share with her class on the Mesh network either
one book at a time using the Read Etexts sharing feature or all at once
using Aleksey Lim's forthcoming Library activity.  While using my new
gas grill this weekend I downloaded all 16 volumes of Burton's
translation of the _Thousand Nights and a Night_, all 4 volumes of an
English translation of the _Mahabharata_, plus 3 Jules Verne novels.
The food being grilled did not suffer while I was doing this.

You really need to try the catalog search to appreciate just how
impressive it is to be able to quickly search a list of 24,000 some odd
books in many languages.  You want _Holinshed's Chronicles_?  They have
it.  Jules Verne in the original French?  It's there.  Juvenile books?
Tons of them.

The catalog search makes it dramatically faster to find and download
books from Gutenberg.  The Journal entry is automatically given a decent
title, something you won't get from the website, and the Journaled books
can be resumed with one click.  I've even solved the problem that saved
page numbers don't survive a reboot.  (This problem is fixed in SoaS but
is still present in the latest release candidate for the XO, so we can
assume that the problem will exist on most XO's for quite some time).  I
solve it by putting the saved page number in the Journal title.

This release is a giant step forward for Read Etexts.  For the first
time it's really usable.

And addressing your other point, I have no objection to packaged
materials of any kind.  I just think that we need to communicate that
packaged materials are not the ONLY way to get content on the machine
and read it, and that in fact there is a large amount of content that
Sugar can use as is.

James Simmons