[IAEP] SUGAR DESKTOP on Intel Mac's an alternate solution.

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sun May 24 20:42:30 EDT 2009

Lucian;

My experience has been that a VM Appliance with player is quite a bit faster
and needs less computer resources than Virtual Box OSE.

I have only been working on Ubuntu (9.04 8.04), Fedora 10,11 & windows
XP  as host OS so far.

I  have made USB sticks with a very small <1 gb Appliance and the .iso file
and thus have a USB stick that is the equivalent of a live CD.

I run them with the  Boot stick of Ubuntu 9.04 live with VMPlayer
installed.(Detailed in the wiki)

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/VMware

The boot stick, (or an installed VMPlayer )starts a 2nd USB stick
containing the SUGAR appliance
The advantage: The VMPlayer can be left running without involving the
host computer at all...
And different students can plug their sticks in for their session on it.
they also can go home and run it on
their PC's without jeopardizing the integrity of the host PS's

The situation /should/ be the same on an Intel Mac.... : /

Cordially;

Tom Gilliard
Bend Oregon USA