[IAEP] can OLPC be applied to receiving information from the user population?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri May 22 17:17:17 EDT 2009

Was reading 'Don't! (The secret of self-control)' (by Jonah Lehrer)
in the May 18 issue of 'The New Yorker'.  In that article, a
psychology experiment (developed I believe by a team headed by John
Jonides at the University of Michigan) is described:  Subjects are
shown a list of four random words, two in red text and two in blue
text.  After reading the words, they are told to forget the blue
words and remember the red words.  Later, the subjects are shown a
stream of words, and for each are asked if it was a word they were
told to remember.  [The scientists are counting how often incorrect
(blue) words are remembered by individual subjects.]

Seems to me "homework" consists of a teacher handing out work - the
pupil returns the result - the teacher evaluates what was returned.
  Here we have a very similar situation - a scientist hands out work
- the subject returns the result - the scientist evaluates what was
returned.

That leads me to think that 'Activities' being written for the OLPC
could be applied not only to "pushing" of (e.g., educational)
materials out to OLPC users, but also to "pulling" of feedback back
to those who prepare the (e.g., experimental) materials.

mikus