[IAEP] personal marketing (bottum up approach)

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Tue May 19 06:10:16 EDT 2009

One thing solution we use at openSUSE to get increcremental images,
ie... you have an older version of SOAS or sugar or whatever image,
but you want a newer one, well solution is to use rsync, but this
would need to be enabled by the host (ie wherever all this is being
hosted downloaded from [bernie, caroline?]):

First check the latest image at:

(This definetly works with openSUSE where sugar is completely
integrated, even with an icon on the desktop that takes you straight
into sugar from the desktop. The address for either SugarSuse or
openSUSE-edu is here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/images/iso/ )

The Soas images (snapshots, ie latests sugar) are here as far as I can
tell: http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/2/

Copy old image with exactly same name as new image available:

cp oldimage.iso exact-name-new-image-is.iso

Run rsync again to patch it:

rsync -avP rsync://mirror.leaseweb.com/opensuse/repositories/Education/images/iso/exact-name-new-image-is.iso
.

Dot at the end with space before it is part of the command.

This will download only the bytes that have changed, which in some
cases is just few MBs, saving few GBs of download.

Obviously p2p is another good solution to get initial images going if
a couple of people choose to upload to linuxtracker.org or
something...

kind Regards,
David (Nubae) Van Assche