[IAEP] Dell Latitude 2100 School Netbooks: Dell PR + Dell blog post + Flickr set + YouTuve vid + CNet article

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Tue May 19 04:36:01 EDT 2009

http://content.dell.com/us/en/corp/d/press-releases/2009-05-19-Latitude2100.aspx

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2009/05/19/latitude-2100-dell-netbook-for-schools.aspx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dellphotos/sets/72157618110617117/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1N9UtEZWc

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10243917-1.html
(Unfortunately, the writer has apparently never heard of OLPC and the
XO, crediting the Intel Classmate for being "the first netbook" :-/  )

http://www.Edu4u.com = New Dell online community for educators;
education-specific "Educational Personal Purchase Programs"; software
preloading service ("ImageDirect") so school districts can receive
ready-to-deploy computers not needing admin prep; "TechKnow" 40-hour
training program to help students troubleshoot tech problems directly;
"webNetwork private cloud" pilot claims to provide "secure web access
to web, hosted web or Windows applications and data, from anywhere,
using any device."

Dell Latitude 2100:

* Aimed specifically at education market.

* Choice of Windows XP Home, Vista Home Basic or Ubuntu (!).

* 10.1" 1024x576 LED screen; optional touchscreen claimed as a "first"
for an educational netbook.

* Intel Atom N270, 1 Gb of RAM

* Storage: hard drive < 250Gb, SSD < 16Gb

* "Surfing" LED bar on the top of opened cover ("Network Activity
Light") designed to inform teacher when kids have wireless activity;
apparently can be called by applications. No info about whether it can
be turned off (in a class running Sugar, all those machines would be
blinking all the time, could drive anybody nuts)

* Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11g standard, 802.11n optional

* SD/MMC card reader.

* VGA port, 3 USB ports, headphone/speaker out, microphone in

* Rubberized case (optional strap with locking anti-theft feature) in
five colors ("School Bus Gold, Chalkboard Black, Ball Field Green,
Blue Ribbon and Schoolhouse Red"... reminds me of my beloved 1966
Chevy Chevelle in "Tropic Turquoise")

* 24-bay classroom charging station available in the US and has LAN
update feature for admins.

* Window on battery pack for inserting school & student name.

* Optional webcam.

* Optional anti-microbial keyboard (US-only; for my part, I recommend
"wash hands with soap")

* MSRP: $369

Sean
Sugar Labs Marketing Coordinator