[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 14, Issue 58

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon May 18 11:51:57 EDT 2009

Carol and Caroline,

I'm working on something that should communicate just how useful Sugar
is for reading ebooks, but you'll need to be patient.  I'm about 90%
complete on this, which in IT parlance means I have enough to do a
rigged demo but the bulk of the work remains to be done.  What I am
doing is a new feature for Read Etexts which lets the user browse the
offline catalog for Project Gutenberg, select a book from it, download
it, and read it.  This accomplishes several really useful things:

1).  You can download and save multiple books to the Journal in one
session by using the "keep" button.  So for instance if you want to read
"A Thousand Nights and a Night" as translated by Sir Richard Burton you
could get all of the volumes in one go.

2).  The Journal title will be a meaningful name taken from the
catalog.  Thus your download of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by
Lewis Carrol" will have a Journal entry with that title, instead of
"11.zip", which is the filename in the Gutenberg archive.

3). Since Read Etexts is actually creating the Journal entry the entry
will use the Read Etexts icon and can be opened from the Journal with
one click.  No more opening your book with Etoys by mistake.

4).  The biggest thing, though, is you can enter in words in the title
or the author's name and see a list of books that have all of those
words in them.  This really communicates that there are over twenty
eight thousand books available in the Gutenberg catalog.  For instance,
a child entering the word "Shakespeare" will find books about
Shakespeare and all of Shakespeare's plays in several languages.  (He
will not find Raphael Holinshed's Chronicles or Plutarch's Lives in the
list, but if he reads all the other books and plays he'll eventually
realize he needs to read those too).

To see a screenshot from the rigged demo go to this URL and click on the
thumbnail:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Read_Etexts#Planned_Features

It's going to take awhile to get the feature fully functional and user
friendly, but I have enough working that I know I can get the rest
finished in a few weeks.

I think this will communicate the variety of ebooks available very well
and should be a worthy addition to SoaS.

As for some of the other ideas that were expressed, the Sword Bible
reader and the Koran reader and the Newbery  book bundle might give the
impression that to read a book on Sugar you need to package it up
somehow.  You need to communicate that there are thousands of books
ready to go, as is, and these don't do that.  (I have nothing against
the content of these books, of course).

Unfortunately, Project Gutenberg may be the only ebook site with an
offline catalog.  It would be nice to give the core Read Activity a
catalog search like this, but there are no comparable catalogs of PDFs.
Maybe Sayamindu's fbreader could use something like this for EPUB files
from Gutenberg.

James Simmons