[IAEP] The eBook "ah ha" moment for Sugar on a Stick

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed May 13 12:40:43 EDT 2009

On 12 May 2009, at 19:42, Carol Farlow Lerche wrote:

> This issue was discussed at length about a week ago, and James
> Simmons and Alexei (I think) were discussing the provision of a
> library activity.  Until that happens, I think James' reader
> activity and Sayamendu's fbreader activity should be packaged for
> SOAS to allow epub, comic format and text formats to be read
> conveniently in SOAS.
>
> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/search?q=newbery&cat=all
>
> is a package on aslo of all the free Newbery honor books by women
> authors as a .xol package.  The texts themselves are epub format. I
> wish someone would reinstate the ability to access .xol files in SOAS.

I still see little reason why .xol files are a benefit, seemed like a
novel but largely irreverent and high maintenance idea considering
almost all the old .xol content ended up being pdf, html, image, or
audio content, and can simply be downloaded and accessed directly from
the Journal (it used to cause a fair amount of UI friction with folks
having to switch between browse <-> journal_detail_view <->
some_activity <-> and_often_back_again;  often ending up with multiple
duplicate copies junking up the journal, and causing low memory
situations on XO-1s).

Just opened a related Soas ticket, with the suggestion that we
initially cherry pick some of the useful .xol items and pre-populate a
few good examples so that Soas has some initial journal entries to get
folks rolling in the right direction. Other old .xol content, if folks
still find them useful and are keen, can just be un-bundled and placed
on a web page, Moodle lesson, for normal download:

	http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/840

Regards,
--Gary