[IAEP] Fwd: [Grassroots-l] [Olpc-france] How to sugarize "Learning Now" / Apprendre maintenant?

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed May 13 03:24:20 EDT 2009

(crossposting to IAEP)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <s.boutayeb at free.fr>
Date: Fri, May 8, 2009 at 7:11 AM
Subject: [Grassroots-l] [Olpc-france] How to sugarize "Learning Now" /
Apprendre maintenant?
To: grassroots at lists.laptop.org

Read on the "OLPC France" list:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-france/2009-May/000807.html

Hi all:

As the creator and developer of the software, I’d like to invite you all to
a discussion. We can start it now or simply wait until May 16th.

“Learning Now v1” should only be considered – for now - in order to
visualize a concept which I feel is needed when bringing computer equipment
to young people or adults in need of training (such as alphabetization,
literacy, general training courses, high tech courses, etc
).  We all want
for these computers to be used to bring people together and closer to each
other, to learn about other cultures and systems and to establish links and
relationships with people from their own community, surroundings and many
other communities worldwide.

We want these computers to be used to preserve the people’s culture and
environments, to archive their knowledge – savoir et savoir faire – and
their art.

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to load on an XO or on any computer - full of
dust somewhere (or not!) - a piece of software that allows to do just that?
Educate, offer ways to open up to the world, to archive cultures, and to be
able to evaluate the progress of each young one, to modify content when the
response is not as positive as desired, to establish a global network where
every single unit it connected?

Even the best computer fully loaded with all the best software won’t get us
very far if we do not find a way to get the young users - via a “central
nervous system” - to receive the education needed and to use the machine to
create active and positive projects for themselves and their community. We
need some piece of software here to get all these pieces linked together to
hold their hand and guide them step by step until they can fly on their own.
We also need to load the best GNU multimedia software available.

I’ve been working on this concept for 4-5 years – kind of my “personal
obsession” - and the software that came out of my work – Learning Now v1 “
is offering a possible solution – although still not perfect nor completed.
With it, you can:

  - Use any type of computer (Windows, Linux or Apple).
  - Create interactive Training Courses and Presentations of all types and
for all ages (5 to 90 years old) – with tracking system of progress.
  - Build Free Internet or Intranet Training Centers.
  - Distribute courses and presentations on the web or on CDs to reach
those who need free education worldwide.
 - Create Electronic Community Centers (“local” web sites) filled with
collections of cultural archives, story books, catalogs and interactive
training courses developed and updated with the support of local educators
and reflecting your own cultural identity.
 - Easily adapt existing single or series of training courses to other
languages, other cultural environment, respecting local belief and
traditions.
 - Motivate local community groups to join their efforts to preserve
[digitize] their own culture, and to offer high tech training courses to
young adolescents and adults to learn all the software tools required to
feed the archive, personalize existing courses, etc

I invite you to think about this and to get together at the SugarCamp for a
brainstorm session. The more brains the better!

I like to think often that “there are no problems, only solutions”. Team
work is a very powerful tool. And when one needs to move a big mountain,
it’s easy when moving one stone at a time.

Cheers and see you à La Cantine,

Fabrice
http://FreeEducationCenter.com
http://EndangeredLanguagesLibrary.org/