[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 14, Issue 57

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Tue May 12 15:45:41 EDT 2009

Caroline,

I have been thinking a bit along the lines you mention.  Several people
seemed to have the idea that my Read Etexts program should not just read
Gutenberg etexts, but should enable you to go find and download said
texts easily.  I had resisted that idea, but now I'm beginning to see
some merit in it.  What would make it possible is that PG produces a
text file which is a catalog of all of their books.  You can get it here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/GUTINDEX.ALL

My own program, if I ever get around to writing it, would download this
file on request, create an array of objects that cross referenced titles
to book numbers, sort it, and pickle it.  The pickled file would be used
as input to a search dialog or perhaps a search panel that would let you
type in words like "Verne" or "Aviation" and would list out titles that
had those words in it.  The user would select the title he wished to
download and the program would download it and create a Journal entry
for it.  This Journal entry would have the Read Etexts icon and would
resume with Read Etexts.

I have a pretty good idea how to add this functionality to Read Etexts
but no idea when I'll find the time to do it.  However, it occurs to me
that this text file, converted to a PDF (use courier font), would be a
pretty good demonstration of the number and variety of books available
for free in just one repository.  You could make a Journal entry out of
it or link to it from the Start page of Browse (in which case no
conversion would be necessary).  The file is human readable.

James Simmons

Message: 2