[IAEP] Sugar Labs Flophouse

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sat May 9 17:17:28 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 8:43 AM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Is anyone interested in setting up a Sugar Labs Flophouse next summer?
>>  I have been impresses with the quality of applicants interested in
>> gsoc and independent internships.
>
> If you set it up to run year round I would move in in a heartbeat and
> offer seminars.
>
> Can we consider doing this in a target country? Ghana would work well for me.

I haven't thought this through very far yet.  So the following might
make less sense than I usually make.

Within the next couple of years, I would like to start a Sugar
institute to foster the Sugar community.  I am thinking of something
with work and living space for about 20 people to come together to
work together for brief periods (a couple of weeks to a couple of
months).

The institute would be organizational separate from Sugar Labs to
insure that the Sugar Labs members and board control the direction of
the Sugar project and platform even if several core Sugar participants
become involved in the institute.

Some weeks the Institute could be used for training deployment teams,
some weeks for hackers to work together, some weeks....

The institute would be place for deployments and deployers to hire
Sugar developers and designers for specific tasks.

The Flophouse, to be know as the SugarShack, would be a precursor to
see if this is something that is useful, cost effective, and
manageable.

It is very likely that this will not happen until next summer, but it
is something to thing about.

david