[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] versus, not

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri May 8 19:49:16 EDT 2009

Hi Kathy,

On 8 May 2009, at 23:28, Kathy Pusztavari wrote:

> David,
>
> Do you have any good links for those of us just starting?  Links
> that would
> answer how to install python, how to interface with sugar from a
> different
> platform (XP, Mac), sugar specific issues in developing activities in
> python?

The Activity Team resources page is a good place to have a browse:

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Resources

If you're working on a Mac, Python will already be there to start
experimenting with (open up a terminal window and type python, this
will give you an interactive python shell you can tinker about and
test the language out in). To get deeper, if you have an Intel Mac
(i.e not PPC), then you can install Suns VirtualBox and run a fully
emulated Sugar environment for easy hacking (this should also be an
option if you want to use your XP box).

I seem to remember...

	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial

...as being a useful hello_world starter for me, I note that it is a
little out of date now (a bunch of unnecessary steps) but should still
work fine (worth a quick skim at least). For me the best place to
learn is to go and pick you way through an existing activities code,
you don't have to understand it all but you'll see the rough template
most folks are building to. I think my Moon activity code is
reasonably simple (i.e not much really going on) if you want to give
it a look:

	http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/moon/repos/mainline/trees/master

Do others think the hello_world template is worth migrating and
updating as a 'first blood' resource for the activity team pages? I'm
willing to move and tidy it up.

Regards,
--Gary