[IAEP] Fwd: [Sur] Labyrinth 6

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri May 8 11:42:07 EDT 2009

On 8 May 2009, at 10:22, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> Gary C Martin wrote:
>> On 17 Apr 2009, at 08:15, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>> Congratulations to Gary and Aleksey.
>>>
>>> Paola is a teacher from .uy and has already tried the new version of
>>> Labyrinth and written a small tutorial about how to create mind maps
>>> with it, see link in the forwarded email below.
>> Thanks Tomeu, very open to feedback (have a long list myself also),
>> so  please do feel free bounce any feedback you see my way.
>> Regards,
>> -Gary
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> awesome work - of course a big thank to Aleksey as well. Had fun
> creating a map with Labyrinth today - some thoughts:
>
> - zooming shortcuts: In Browse we use (ctrl++ and ctrl+-) for zoom
> in and zoom out. Write does the same. Not sure what Read does - at
> least ctrl++ does not work. Would be cool to settle on some short
> cuts. (Btw: the wheel on a mouse does work as well for zooming)

Agreed, I tried to use ctrl+- and ctrl-= originally but they failed to
work (api didn't like the symbols) so went with ctrl+1 and crtl+2 for
the release. After asking Tomeu, he kindly managed to dig into the
source (X I think it was in the end), to find that symbols are
described by name (ctrl-minus, ctrl-equal, and now documented in the
sugar almanac). Planning to change them in the next release.

> - zoom: is there a way that when I zoomed in, that I move to another
> area of the canvas? (hope it is clear what I mean here)

Yes, you want to pan. Hold the 'hand' key (on Mac the key equivalent
are the cmd/Apple keys) and drag with the mouse. I'd like to improve
this in the future and not need the mouse button down (eg, just 'hand'
key and mouse movement), there's also the option to extend the right
button so that when you right drag on an empty area of canvas it pans
(right drag is currently just used for repositioning thoughts).

> - scaling of images: when an image is scaled moving it does take
> very very long - I guess it is re-rendered

Will take a look, but yea large images do slow things down.

> - translations: is labyrinth up in pootle?

Yep, Sayamindu kindly added it in about a week ago as part of the
pootle push to move it to the Sugar Labs infrastructure (though I seem
to have lost my translation password and there is no password reset,
oops).

> Thanks,
>   Simon

Thanks for the feedback!