[IAEP] versus, not

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Thu May 7 07:23:24 EDT 2009

Hi,

I think we more or less agree (but I wasn't shooting for agreement). I was simply pointing out that rallying around a category is not as useful in making curriculum and applying pedagogy as always asking the question "what does this learner need?" and to try to not have a knee jerk reaction with a particular tool for helping people learn. I have nothing against "Direct instruction" (at all), and it is useful in some cases.

Perhaps an even better example I could have given is the really worked out (over decades of experience with learners): the incredible "Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain" curriculum of Betty Edwards (my other favorite master teacher). A categorical "direct instruction true believer" would claim this as a proof of the efficacy of DI, and a categorical "constructivist true believer" would claim this as the supreme validation of constructivism.Both elements are used heavily.

In fact, Betty's curriculum is not drawn from either of these categories, but from other sources (including Tim Gallwey, who is a good friend of hers). Basically, she got interested in the goal of how to teach "just everybody" how to draw fluently, and spent years with her college students and then many other kinds of students perfected a method drawn from the best ideas in drawing and from what scientists had started learning about the brain, what it does to sensory inputs, its multipart structure, how to get the parts of the brain/mind that interfere to get out of the way, etc. She used and invented what works best for learning this particular set of highly developed skills and refined with many groups of students.

Her threshold (which is what makes her curriculum really interesting) is to get every student who takes her class to the average level of a 2nd year art student (with regard to portrait drawings) after 40 hours of instruction (and this is usually done in one intense and exciting week). This course is also a terrific way to get adults (especially) started on the road to real science. And this is because this course succeeds because the real problem in learning to draw is not to gain skill in hand movements, but in learning ways to see what is actually on your retina rather than what your brain and mind make of it.

It certainly does help to look at and be told what other people have done -- and the real question there (again) is "what does it take to help someone understand what someone else has done?"

Cheers,

Alan