[IAEP] educational brew

Kathy Pusztavari kathy at kathyandcalvin.com
Tue May 5 08:49:54 EDT 2009

"You could set up '4th grade math for Massachusetts' as a list of things to
master. It's quite similar to setting up a Makefile with a target that
exists purely to have a list of prerequisites."

Albert - that is exactly what I was referring to.  A set of curriculum to
get you started but a good teacher could then go in and adapt the files or
make file for their standards (or find a local nerd to help).  I referred to
Turtle Typing.  Being a linux numbskull, I accidentally ran the MAKEFILE and
found out that it seeds your lessons.  Honestly, I had heard of MAKEFILE but
I didn't know what it did.  I threw those lessons into a temp folder and
replaced them all with my lessons.  I'm pretty good at cut and paste so the
5 lessons became 30 lessons and I only got started!  The lessons were
.lesson files written in python format so you have to figure out what format
and data the file needs to run the program the way you want.  I'll have to
be honest, when I saw Turtle Typing - that is when I figured out how
powerful activities can be for sugar.  I was able to use sugar to actually
do something important that - honestly - no other program could do.  Teach
typing at a level my son could actually succeed.

I might be slow but I get there eventually.

-Kathy