[IAEP] Library Activity

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon May 4 23:17:03 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 01:54:30PM -0500, James Simmons wrote:
> Aleksey,
>
> I, too would be interested in what this will look like.  From your
> description it sounds like a way of grouping things (including texts) in
> such a way that you can share them with others without actually having
> them open, as long as the Library activity itself is open.  I would
> guess that if I had a collection of books on my XO that I could make the
> whole collection available for download even if I wasn't reading any of
> them.
exactly

> Since you brought this up in response (more or less) to Caroline asking
> if there would ever be something like Calibre on the XO I was wondering
> if you planned to have features like Calibre has included in it?  What I
> was thinking of is a grid that lists book information.  You would have
> columns for Author, Title, Subject (or keywords), and you could sort or
> search the grid by any of these columns.
at the end Library activity is targeted on the whoole verity of objects
so Library objects will have ASLO's properties
but I'm also planing to parse objects(like .ogg properties) and fill RO
properties(if they are non-ASLO)

> This would give you a way to
> organize a large collection of texts, something the Journal is ill
> suited to do.  The other Calibre-like thing you could do is to keep
> track of what format the text was in and open the correct Viewing
> activity when someone clicks a "View" button and the book's row is
> selected.  This is another thing that the Journal doesn't do very well.
good idea, thanks

> Calibre uses Qt but I see that pygtk has a TreeView component that could
> be used to make the sortable grid.
yup, gtk should have power tree view widget

> Caroline mentioned having a collection of over 100 etexts in her copy of
> Calibre.  If you had that many texts on your XO the Journal would just
> list them in sequence by most recently added or read.  You could search
> on the title string but that's it.  It would be a mess to deal with.
I'm going to use tags(and composite tags)

> The reason I ask is that I'm thinking I might try to write such an
> Activity myself, since it would try to address problems I've had with
> using the Journal since I got my XO.  If the Library activity would do
> much the same thing I wouldn't do it.
well, Library activity is in my TODO :)
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Library#Roadmap

--