[IAEP] Library Activity

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Mon May 4 19:22:45 EDT 2009

On the topic of libraries:

Something we have talked about in the past is a way for individuals to
share content they've created with others, and an obvious means of
accomplishing this task is to provide functionality of a "View Alice's
Journal" nature, by which Bob could view Alice's shared content. One
exciting approach to implementation is to publish this content as an
RSS feed, thus allowing anyone (including non-sugar users) with the
right URL to take advantage of it. (Other data formats could also
work, but RSS readers already exist outside Sugar, making it a nice
option. We also talked about how tags could be appended to the feed
URL in order for kids to publish separate streams of content)

A corollary to this idea was that we could support other forms of
content libraries (other than individual Sugar users), each with it's
own feed. The server could expose some itself, but perhaps anyone
could publish these feeds. They could also have a representation
within the Neighborhood view, and in essence behave like a
persistently shared activity which anyone could access at any time.

I haven't thought all of this through in detail, but I thought I'd
throw it out there with the library discussion, since there might be
some interesting solutions in that space.

Eben