[IAEP] Library Activity

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon May 4 16:15:41 EDT 2009

Carol,

I see sharing the catalog as a read-only thing.  I don't know what
Aleksey has in mind for Library.   Even if that wasn't true, a database
is not necessary.  There is a framework called Prevayler that handles
in-memory databases in such a way that you can lose power without losing
updates.  I've used that framework in Java and I believe there is an
implementation for Python as well.  I doubt I would need it though.

I think of this as being an electronic card catalog for one's personal
library.  I'm not doing airline reservations, or dealing with more data
than will easily fit in memory.  If someone's battery dies while they're
adding cards to the catalog they'll lose their work but the old
directory entry should survive.

As a user I would not want to need external software to make my Activity
work.  I have experienced this with Read Etexts and the speech
function.  Read Etexts has supported TTS with highlighting for months,
but getting the needed external (outside the Activity bundle) software
on everyone's XO is a whole other problem, that will take a lot longer
to solve.  If there was a way to avoid that I would have.

James Simmons