[IAEP] Experiences with Soas2-200904231400.iso

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon May 4 10:23:10 EDT 2009

Caroline,

Normally the System BIOS recognizes the devices installed on your
system.  The BIOS is a kind of software that runs before your operating
system runs.  Your operating system often will work with the BIOS rather
than working with hardware directly.  In any case, this boot disk is
doing something clever, in that it can find USB drives and make them
bootable without help from the BIOS.  Apparently it can only find them
if they are attached directly to the motherboard, and on the older
computers that need such a diskette to work that generally limits you to
the slower USB 1.1.

The guy who wrote this knows more about how computer hardware works than
a typical programmer knows.  He may have reverse engineered something or
he may know trade secrets he would not be allowed to reveal.  That would
prevent a GPL version.

In any case, it doesn't work well enough to be a good alternative to a
boot CD and it is not likely it could be made to work better than it
does.  It looks like the original goal of PLOP was to provide tools to
recover data from or repair computers that cannot be booted up
normally.  For that purpose it's more than adequate.

As for having a boot CD that did not have its own kernel, you have the
same issues with that as you would with the boot diskette.  There would
be no advantage to using a CD versus a diskette.  In fact the diskette
does its work very quickly.  If you had an older computer that allowed
you to boot from USB but only recognized 1.1 ports you'd have the same
situation.

You might try making the diskette following the instructions on that
website.  It isn't that difficult, and the software doesn't cost
anything to download.

James Simmons