[IAEP] Logic simulator

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sun May 3 18:48:10 EDT 2009

> Noticed this Flash based logic simulator:
>
> 	http://joshblog.net/projects/logic-gate-simulator/Logicly.html
>
> Would be quite a simple sandbox activity to make (python, gtk+,
> ciaro); but before I burn time (well add to my future todos list), do
> teachers on this list think it is more than just a geeky play-thing,
> or does it have educational merit?

Gary, thanks for the link, I love it.

Yes, I think this simulator does have strong educational merit. It is more than a digital logic simulator, Boolean logic goes further than teaching electronics, it teaches kids to problem solve and to think mathematically.

I tried it out on the XO and it works fine (except for the jumpy cursor making wiring tricky)

I would question whether it would be worth remaking in Python, the Flash version works well and if internet connectivity was limited, couldn't it just run on a school server?

Bill Kerr in his blog, makes the point that the future of educational computing is in thin client netbooks with the smarts at the server end. This idea is reinforced by list discussions on books and book readers, it makes more sense to tap into the world's resources of ebooks than to write books specifically for the sugar platform.

Similarly, it makes more sense to tap into the world's resources of simulators and puzzles than to rewrite them for the Sugar platform.

If all this is true, then perhaps the focus for Sugar should be on its browser and book reader, making it compatible with the widest range of ebooks and web based simulations as possible. Walter I think has mentioned an unzip activity as a priority, sounds like a good idea, it gives better access to the wealth of educational material already out there on the www.

Some more web based simulators, I haven't tried them for Sugar compatibility:

http://www.sodaplay.com/constructor/

http://www.biologic.com.au/bugbrain/

http://www.armadillorun.com/

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40255643/