[IAEP] Books Books Books

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat May 2 15:07:45 EDT 2009

The Devil's Advocate strikes again. Thanks, Albert.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Edward Cherlin writes:
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Caroline Meeks <solutiongrove at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are supposed to be a Bible and a Qur'an for the XO. I know where
>> the texts are for a dozen other religions, if anybody is interested in
>> providing them.
>
> Sugar is not restricted to mature audiences you know. It's for kids.

Kids are made to read parts of these books in many countries. I want
to supply the complete texts, with alternative translations, and
alternatives. I would get Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion, if he
would give us a CC license. Anyway, it doesn't matter much. This stuff
is all readily available on the Net.

> Both of those books are loaded with sex and violence. I really can't
> think of any books that are more violent, and I can only think of
> one book that has worse sexual perversion. Both of them even glorify
> genocide, war, and torture. Both have in fact been used to justify
> and encourage genocide, war, and torture.

There you go. Part of your basic civics education. Larry Lessig told
me he wants to join in writing that book.

>> Students will need more than the bare texts. At least a dictionary of
>> Elizabethan English, and preferably some of the books that Shakespeare
>> himself read, such as Aristotle's Poetics, Plutarch's Lives, and
>> Holinshed's Chronicles.
>
> Sugar for adults studying Libral Arts at an Ivy League school?

I'm sorry. Are we talking about giving little children Shakespeare?
They can handle dynastic struggles, war, and revenge, but they can't
handle history or drama theory?

> If you want harder reading material, try consumer contracts. :-(
> Those at least have extreme importance to people's lives.

+1

But in fact, UN bafflegab is currently more of an issue, and sometimes
more impenetrable. I have commented on this before.

http://lists.rite.ed.qut.edu.au/pipermail/oz-teachers/2008-March/014205.html

>> According to UNICEF, there is need to involve female teachers
>> in training and capacity building to develop patterns of support
>> and understanding of the challenges that girl children face both
>> within and outside the school setting. Women teachers are
>> considered particularly valuable and with proper  training and
>> motivation, can serve as positive mentors from within the
>> community (UNICEF, 2006).

> Typical UN bafflegab. The substance of this statement in actual
> English is that there are some important things (to do with
> unidentified "challenges") that girls learn better from women than
> from men, so we should help women to teach.

And Children are my nation.