[IAEP] Experiences with Soas2-200904231400.iso

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat May 2 13:27:09 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 11:38 AM, James Simmons <jim.simmons at walgreens.com>wrote:

> Caroline,
>
> The boot diskette is from here:
>
> http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html
>
> It is not free software, but it is free to download.  There originally WAS
> a link in the Wiki to this, but I couldn't find it the last time I looked.
>  You really couldn't make a "branded" version of this for Sugar (there is no
> source code).  You have to take it as it is.
>
> To be truthful, the diskette is not a very good way to use SoaS.  Granted,
> starting a computer using the CD requires you to get the drive open and
> closed quickly, but the diskette only seems to recognize USB 1.1 ports, so
> you have a LONG boot to wait for.  I only use the diskette when a suitable
> version of the boot CD is unavailable, because the diskette works with any
> version of SoaS, whereas the CD needs a kernel, etc. that matches what's on
> the stick.

Interesting.  How hard would it be for someone to create a GPL version of a
boot diskette?  Would it necessarily only recognize USB 1.1? Even if it
does, the computers that I want it for probably only have USB 1.1 ports.

Having the CD have a kernel on it seems to be problematical because that
means we often need a new CD for every new version.  I don't thoroughly
understand the technology here.  What is the theoretical minimum we need on
a CD or Diskette to enable boot on a computer that can not boot directly
from a USB?

thanks!
Caroline

--