[IAEP] bar code

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Fri Mar 27 16:13:02 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 7:28 AM, adam hyde <adam at flossmanuals.net> wrote:
> its an isbn bar code
>
> there are apps to do it an some online :
> http://www.terryburton.co.uk/barcodewriter/generator/

There's also downloadable code; I used a python script called
'bookland.py' for my books which generated postscript I imported into
scribus for the layout.  Let me know if a brief google search doesn't
suffice to turn it up.  Again, no need to pay money for this!

It's worth paying close attention to the keepout distances & etc when
you lay out the book: there's a minimum margin around the barcode you
should adhere to.  The best advice I was given was to print a one-off
proof of the book at your POD when you're done fiddling and bring it
around to a selection of your local booksellers and ask them politely
if you can run it past their scanners.  If it reads good there, you've
got some confidence that you've done everything right and it will read
true even with "real world" crappy equipment.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )