[IAEP] bar code

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 05:42:24 EDT 2009

David was saying he started with American UPC, but the publishing
industry has standardized on EAN-13 with the "country" field being a
value (978 or in future 979) indicating "book" and called...
"Bookland" (!), the next 9 digits being the "classic" ISBN-10 number
then a final checksum digit.

There is also the 5-digit price add-on UPC-5 code for which the value
90000 is often used for international titles, indicating "no suggested
list price".

Generating a postscript file for the manual's single barcode shouldn't
take more than a few minutes:

<snip>
$ barcode -h
barcode: Options:
   -i <arg>     input file (strings to encode), default is stdin
   -o <arg>     output file, default is stdout
   -b <arg>     string to encode (use input file if missing)
   -e <arg>     encoding type (default is best fit for first string)
   -u <arg>     unit ("mm", "in", ...) used to decode -g, -t, -p
   -n           "numeric": avoid printing text along with the bars
   -c           no Checksum character, if the chosen encoding allows it
   -E           print one code as eps file (default: multi-page ps)
   -P           create PCL output instead of postscript
   -p <arg>     page size (refer to the man page)

Known encodings are (synonyms appear on the same line):
        "ean", "ean13", "ean-13", "ean8", "ean-8"
        "upc", "upc-a", "upc-e"
        "isbn"
        "39", "code39"
        "128c", "code128c"
        "128b", "code128b"
        "128", "code128"
        "128raw"
        "i25", "interleaved 2 of 5"
        "cbr", "codabar"
        "msi"
        "pls", "plessey"
        "code93", "93"

$ barcode -e ean-13 -b 9782746031197 -u mm -t 3x8+5+2-5-20 -m 10,9 -p
216x279mm  -o SugarManual084barcode.ps

$ ps2pdf SugarManual084barcode.ps SugarManual084barcode.pdf
</snip>

(I have substituted a barcode from a handy bash cheatcard, of course
our own number would need to go in)

Actually, the truly rushed can just go to:
http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland and run the Python script :-)

Sean