[IAEP] ISBN Numbers Summary.

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Thu Mar 26 17:17:43 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:38 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> I am still looking into that issue.
>
> An a related issue there is a question in the publish on demand
> industry of how to define a 'new edition' which requires a new ISBN.

If the content changes, it's a new edition and should have a new ISBN.

Treat FM releases just like SL releases; if you release new manuals
twice a year to Amazon, a block of ten will still last for a few
years.  Multiplying languages will eat up numbers -- but maybe you
should publish a multilingual guide instead, or conserve ISBNs for
languages which are going to sell > N copies of the manual (based on
data from the previous "edition").

Don't pay $200 to Lulu for an ISBN, that's highway robbery!  As you
found, you can buy blocks of 10 directly; that's the way to go.
(FWIW, I've got a block of 10 myself, but then the manuals would be
published by "Ahuas Emigre Press" -- better to get a block of 10 for
sugarlabs.)
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )