[IAEP] GSoC applications open until April 3 - Please continue to promote Sugarlabs GSoC

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 09:31:50 EDT 2009

The Google Summer of Code applications period is open now, for both Sugar
Labs <http://socghop.appspot.com/org/show/google/gsoc2009/sugarlabs> and other
participating organizations<http://socghop.appspot.com/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2009>,
and runs until 3 April at 19:00 UTC. We have had a fair number of interested
students in IRC and on the mailing lists, and last I checked we had 4
generally strong applications in the wiki
However, we have over 13 mentors signed up;* the more applications we get,
the more slots we will be assigned*; and there are no applications yet in
some of our important project
So please, use your blogs, your tweets, and even your actual mouth, to
promote GSoC and encourage more high-quality students (at any level, as long
as they're 18 or over) to apply; and of course, feel free to apply yourself.
The sooner you start to apply, the more time you'll have to refine your
idea. The steps to apply are:

1. write out an idea in the wiki
2. get comments on that idea by discussing it on these mailing lists and/or
3. repeat steps 1 and 2 to refine your idea as many times as possible
4. sign up on google's webapp <http://socghop.appspot.com/> and submit your
application to sugarlabs there, preferably by April 1
5. You can continue to refine your idea until the deadline on April 3.

Jameson Quinn