[IAEP] GSoC applications open until April 3 - Please continue to promote Sugarlabs GSoC

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 09:31:50 EDT 2009

The Google Summer of Code applications period is open now, for both Sugar
Labs <http://socghop.appspot.com/org/show/google/gsoc2009/sugarlabs> and other
participating organizations<http://socghop.appspot.com/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2009>,
and runs until 3 April at 19:00 UTC. We have had a fair number of interested
students in IRC and on the mailing lists, and last I checked we had 4
generally strong applications in the wiki
category<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Category:2009_GSoC_applications>.
However, we have over 13 mentors signed up;* the more applications we get,
the more slots we will be assigned*; and there are no applications yet in
some of our important project
ideas<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/ProjectIdeas>.
So please, use your blogs, your tweets, and even your actual mouth, to
promote GSoC and encourage more high-quality students (at any level, as long
as they're 18 or over) to apply; and of course, feel free to apply yourself.
The sooner you start to apply, the more time you'll have to refine your
idea. The steps to apply are:

1. write out an idea in the wiki
category<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Category:2009_GSoC_applications>
2. get comments on that idea by discussing it on these mailing lists and/or
IRC
3. repeat steps 1 and 2 to refine your idea as many times as possible
4. sign up on google's webapp <http://socghop.appspot.com/> and submit your
application to sugarlabs there, preferably by April 1
5. You can continue to refine your idea until the deadline on April 3.

Cheers,
Jameson Quinn