[IAEP] Linux performance without swap (was: Re: [Sugar-devel] DC Photo Jam 2 - New batch of photos of SoaS running onnetbooks)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Mar 17 09:41:07 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:58:29PM +0000, Martin Dengler wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 05:42:36AM -0400, John Watlington wrote:
>> I doubt the speedup is due to the presence of swap.
Didn't get the original mail (yet), so replying to this one instead.

I don't know if the issue is already fixed in the kernel used on the
XO-1, but Linux has a very old bug that causes the system to slow down
to a crawl if no swap is enabled and memory is getting tight.
I'm afraid I don't have any references, but still encountered it some
weeks ago when installing Linux on my phone. Once I enabled swap
everything was fine.

PS: FUP2 set to sugar-devel

CU Sascha

--