[IAEP] DC Photo Jam 2 - New batch of photos of SoaS running onnetbooks

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Tue Mar 17 05:42:36 EDT 2009

On Mar 17, 2009, at 5:34 AM, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 04:48, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 16, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Kathy Pusztavari wrote:
>>
>>> Adorable.  You indeed picked the best of the bunch.
>>>
>>> This may have been answered somewhere else but I'm wondering if
>>> SoaS is faster on other processors than on the XO1.  I find the XO
>>> to be terribly slow.  Has it been tested on the Classmate 3 - if
>>> so, is it fast?
>>
>> I would expect it to be faster on other processors.
>
> I don't think the processor is the biggest factor. In my profiling, I
> have seen bigger impact from jffs2/nand, the graphics subsystem and
> the lack of swap.

> If you run Soas-1 on a sd card with some swap space, you will see how
> the XO feels much faster.

The difference here is that read access to data/programs on an SD
card is about
twice as fast as JFFS2 (and incurs little processor overhead, whereas
JFFS2
tends to occupy the processor 100%), and write access is about 15
times faster
than JFFS2.   I doubt the speedup is due to the presence of swap.

>>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mikelee