[IAEP] DC Photo Jam 2 - New batch of photos of SoaS running onnetbooks

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Mar 16 23:48:52 EDT 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Kathy Pusztavari wrote:

> Adorable.  You indeed picked the best of the bunch.
>
> This may have been answered somewhere else but I'm wondering if
> SoaS is faster on other processors than on the XO1.  I find the XO
> to be terribly slow.  Has it been tested on the Classmate 3 - if
> so, is it fast?

I would expect it to be faster on other processors.
Please remember that the XO uses the processor that gave OLPC
the most performance/power available 1.5 years ago.   Technology
has changed, and we are refreshing the XO to provide more
performance at the same power level.    Other netbooks are
power hogs compared to the XO!

This probably doesn't matter to you, but in many OLPC deployments,
the amount of power consumed by the laptop is inversely related to
the amount of time a student can use their laptop per week.

Still, as Marvin Minsky reminded me the other day, we used to have
much more responsive UIs running on processors with less than a
tenth the processing power...

wad