[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Running sugar at almost-native speeds in Windows

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:48:02 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Luke Faraone <luke at faraone.cc> wrote:

> In any case, even if it was this easy (other seem to report otherwise), it's
> more steps than an educator should have to perform. The idea is that we can
> provide them with prepackaged, no extra-fluff-needed executables, *as well*
> as in raw image formats.
>
> Moreover, VMDK files are (IIRC) hard to generate programmatically, whereas
> COW/QEMU images can be generated easilly as part of a build script.

Actually, you can create a .vmdk from .img using the QEMU tools.  It's
just that .vmdk is much more widely supported that .img so it would
save a conversion step for most VM users.

I agree that we should be providing 1 click solutions *in addition* to
providing .vmdk files for people who already use VMs regularly.

Wade