[IAEP] Lots of Interest in SoaS at CUE

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Sat Mar 7 18:07:46 EST 2009

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 03:55:56PM -0500, Caroline Meeks wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Donna Benjamin <donna at cc.com.au> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 09:36 -0500, Caroline Meeks wrote:
> > > My readings in the class I am taking this semester deal with what
> > > sort of beliefs cause people to go into helpless mode, where they
> > > give up when they encounter a challenge and what sort of beliefs,
> > > and teaching, cause the same people to embrace challenge and
> > > believe that continued effort will result in continued progress.
> >
> > Caroline - I'm interested in that very friction point. Could you share
> > some of the reading resources you've been looking at?
> >

> *Carol Dweck.  Self-Theories:  Their Role in Motivation, Personality, and
> Development
> (Psychology Press, 2000)
>
> Walter Doyle, “Academic Work,” Review of Educational Research, vol. 53, no.
> 2 (1983),
> 159-199. [CP]

Thanks for sharing these references.  I found these links that might
be of interest:

http://www.psych.uiuc.edu/~yyhong/papers/old-papers/A44.Hong%20et%20al.%20JPSP.pdf
http://itc.conversationsnetwork.org/shows/detail1011.html

I wonder if the "Brainology" software mentioned in
http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2007/february7/dweck-020707.html
might have any useful interaction with Sugar.

Martin