[IAEP] Lots of Interest in SoaS at CUE

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat Mar 7 15:55:56 EST 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Donna Benjamin <donna at cc.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 09:36 -0500, Caroline Meeks wrote:
> > My readings in the class I am taking this semester deal with what
> > sort of beliefs cause people to go into helpless mode, where they
> > give up when they encounter a challenge and what sort of beliefs,
> > and teaching, cause the same people to embrace challenge and
> > believe that continued effort will result in continued progress.
>
> Caroline - I'm interested in that very friction point. Could you share
> some of the reading resources you've been looking at?

*Carol Dweck.  Self-Theories:  Their Role in Motivation, Personality, and
Development
(Psychology Press, 2000)

Walter Doyle, “Academic Work,” Review of Educational Research, vol. 53, no.
2 (1983),
159-199. [CP]

We are getting advanced copies of chapters of Prof. Richard Elmore's book.
Looks like it will be great but it explictly says we can't distribute what
we've gotten.  I'll let you know when it comes out.

> > "Worldwide people are testing and improving Sugar on a Stick. With the
> > help of people like you, trying it and telling us what problems and
> > suggestions you have, we plan to having this in the first classrooms
> > this fall and in the first schools schoolwide in the Spring.  This is
> > an all volunteer effort and your help, even now when we still have a
> > lot of bugs, is really important."
>
> This is a good directive. Being upfront about our need for help, and
> empowering educators to give us useful bug reports means being honest
> about our progress and providing guidance on how to give useful bug and
> test reports.
>
> One small change I might suggest - name a target month rather than a
> season eg "in the first classrooms around October or November and the
> first schools around April or May.

Great point! Thanks

--
Caroline Meeks