[IAEP] Communicating project goals and Roadmap

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jun 30 18:40:05 EDT 2009

This thread is an attempt to help clean up a couple of issues that
have been cropping up over the past couple of months.

There have been a couple of instances of suboptimal communication
between different parts of the project.

Several times recently, external organizations have been looking for a
big picture view of what is happening at Sugar Labs.

The .84 release was pretty easy to coordinate.  The development team
picked a release date about six months after .82.  The developers
followed the time line pretty well.  Simon did a fantastic just with
just a stick and a handful of carrots as release manager getting
getting the release shipped on time.  The only two external
organizations we worked with closely were Fedora and OLPC.

With the midterm release of Strawberry, we have seen the importance of
improving communication with more internal groups and external
organizations.

Internally, we have seen the importance of synchronizing development,
marketing, and the project as a whole's time lines and goals.

Externally, we have seen a significant increase in external
organization participation.  Several university have express
interested in working with SL.  Several distributions are becoming
more involved. Several new pilots and deployments are participating in
Sugar development rather than just consuming Sugar.

A first step will be to start working on project and team level road
maps which assign dates and champions to significant events.

Sugar Labs and each team already have  roadmap pages listed.  Over the
next couple of weeks, I would like to work with the development, SoaS,
marketing, infrastructure teams to create roadmaps and goals.  (This
is not to exclude any other teams participation.)

Then using iteration and project level goals we can start linking the
roadmaps together.

david
--
David Farning