[IAEP] Sugar Labs Chile proposal

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jun 30 17:20:39 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Werner Westermann<wernerio at gmail.com> wrote:
> To David Farning, best regards from Santiago, Chile.
>
> I'd like to officially nominate Chile as a Local Lab:
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs_Chile

That sounds like a great plan.

> We, Educalibre (http://www.educalibre.cl), were hoping to be ready as a
> formalized NGO, but the process will not end before 2 or 3 months (it
> started August 2008).  It woud be best to sign the MOU once we are
> formalized completely.

For others interested in forming local labs:

There is not need for organizations for formally register as NGOs to
become Local Sugar Labs.  Registering with one's local government can
often be a pretty big bureaucratic hassle.

But, in the long term, it can be very beneficial for organizations
with goals similar to the Educalibre.  This allow them the freedom to
enter contracts such as employment agreements and service and support
contracts independently of Global Sugar Labs.

> But things are starting to work out with Sugar in Chile.  We are starting a
> pilot in Punta Arenas, where the Sugar on a Stick will be running over
> Classmate 1, and another pilot is on it's way in Huechuraba County, outside
> of Santiago.  We have the support of interesting allies such as initiatives
> related to school innovation through ICTs, universities (inlcuiding a
> educational university), Intel (who's shown great interest and commitment).
> This year, Classmate 1 Mobile Labs (on a cart) were distrubuted to public
> schools oriented to 3rd graders, and SoaS+Classmate is seen as a great
> alternative.  We are also have close contact with Sugar Labs Colombia, who
> are also starting to roll out pilots, and we've commited to share and build
> collaborately (we are starting to design a course oriented to teacher
> profesiona development, and have a basic Sugar course and agenda as well).

That all sounds great.  I am very happy to hear about the close work
you are doing with Colombia.  For Sugar Labs to work we needs to view
ourselves as partners working together around a shared goals rather
than independent producers and consumers

> All of the above has pushed to finaly run Sugar Labs Chile.  Hope to hear
> from you soon,

david

> werner

David Farning