[IAEP] Sugar Labs Chile proposal

Werner Westermann wernerio at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 15:08:51 EDT 2009

To David Farning, best regards from Santiago, Chile.

I'd like to officially nominate Chile as a Local Lab:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs_Chile

We, Educalibre (http://www.educalibre.cl), were hoping to be ready as a
formalized NGO, but the process will not end before 2 or 3 months (it
started August 2008).  It woud be best to sign the MOU once we are
formalized completely.

But things are starting to work out with Sugar in Chile.  We are starting a
pilot in Punta Arenas, where the Sugar on a Stick will be running over
Classmate 1, and another pilot is on it's way in Huechuraba County, outside
of Santiago.  We have the support of interesting allies such as initiatives
related to school innovation through ICTs, universities (inlcuiding a
educational university), Intel (who's shown great interest and commitment).
This year, Classmate 1 Mobile Labs (on a cart) were distrubuted to public
schools oriented to 3rd graders, and SoaS+Classmate is seen as a great
alternative.  We are also have close contact with Sugar Labs Colombia, who
are also starting to roll out pilots, and we've commited to share and build
collaborately (we are starting to design a course oriented to teacher
profesiona development, and have a basic Sugar course and agenda as well).

All of the above has pushed to finaly run Sugar Labs Chile.  Hope to hear
from you soon,

werner