[IAEP] Comments on David Kokorowski, David Pritchard and "Mastering" Educational SW

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 07:11:14 EDT 2009

On Monday 29 Jun 2009 10:01:34 pm Alan Kay wrote:
> (a) "the epistemology of science" is not at all what most people suppose,
> and it is rather distant from the normal ways our minds are set up to work,
Could you please elaborate it? Isn't the desire to seek the deeper principles
behind things and events around us a unique aspect of human mind?

If we leave out the last few decades, scientists did pretty well on the whole.
What I find disturbing is the 'intermediation' that has crept into the science
education in recent decades. It is no longer about direct experience. It is
about dealing with text in books, pictures on charts and movies on screen. It
is about literacy, not comprehension [1].

[1] http://solar.physics.montana.edu/tslater/montillation_of_traxoline.html

Subbu