[IAEP] Sugar on Wireless

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Jun 27 12:30:04 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline,

On 27 Jun 2009, at 16:07, Caroline Meeks wrote:

> I'm back home now and checking in.
>
> When I was at FOSSED it looked like Macs running under virtual box
> could not use local collaboration because it doesn't directly see
> the APs.
>
> Is this confirmed?
>
> Are there other ideas for getting MacBooks using VirutalBox to
> collaborate without an XS?

I've not done extensive collaboration tests with the SoaS Strawberry
image, but cursory Salut tests with Chat (between a MacBook Pro
running the Strawberry VM, and 2 other XO-1s running 0.82.1 connected
to my local AP) seems to be working just fine. Each machine sees the
other 2 in the Neighbourhood, each can share or join Chat Activities
created by the others.

Were the VirtualBox VM networks set up correctly? I think NAT is the
default setting for VirtualBox, and I'm pretty sure that will fail for
Salut. Think of that NAT behaving like new virtual local network, as
if your VM was running behind another separate AP.

Regards,
--Gary