[IAEP] Reflections on giving a Sugar Demo

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Jun 27 05:30:33 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 02:19, Caroline Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> First off it went well. The teacher's loved Sugar, saw a lot of
> possibilities and are motivated to help us go forward. People talked with me
> about it the entire conference.
>
> That said, I learned a lot of lessons and there are things I would do
> differently.
>
> Always bring an AP. Don't use existing wireless.
>
> When I tested before class the wireless seemed great. We packed the room.
> The wireless network got very flacky.  Next time I'm going to bring an AP
> and just try to collaborate locally.  I'm thinking of getting one of the
> open-mesh $29.00 units and seeing how that works.
>
> Either get USB sticks to boot OR teach about Sugar, don't try to do both at
> once.
>
> The class was packed and although most of the computers finally booted to
> sugar it took a lot of time.  Until we really get things down I think I'm
> going to hand out LiveCDs then after wards tell people I'll work with them
> one-on-one to get it to boot from USB.

Perhaps the main medium of SoaS distribution should be a SoaS LiceCD
with an activity that would make very simple to flash a USB stick?

That would allow us to control better the flashing process, where is
very easy to get into trouble.

And maybe that LiveCD could double as a Boot helper?

Regards,

Tomeu