[IAEP] Art criticism needed on Get IA Books icon (attached)

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 15:41:56 EDT 2009

I am working on a new Activity that will connect to the Internet
Archive and act as a sort of electronic card catalog.  It will be
similar to the offline catalog browsing feature of Read Etexts, but
will have much more information about the books, including language
and a free form description.  It will be an online catalog, not
offline.  It will be able to download books to the Journal in either
PDF or DJVU format for use by the core Read Activity.

Attached is a GIF version of my icon for this Activity.  The original
is a .svg of course.  Artistically I think it is the finest icon I
have ever done, but I have some doubts about it:

1).  Will the target audience (learners and younger teachers)
recognize the object the icon is mean to resemble?  (Would they
recognize the ones for Read Etexts or View Slides)?

2).  Is there a better image to convey what the Activity does?  And if
so, could I con somebody into drawing it for me?

If you feel you have the needed artistic talent all you need to make
an SVG icon is the free Inkscape program, available for both Linux and
Windows.  Create a New 48x48 icon.  Draw it with strokes and empty but
enclosed areas that could be filled in.  No gradients or anything
fancy.

If you're looking for something to do in an hour drawing icons could
be that activity.  Artistic skill and programming skill are seldom
both found in the same person.  Of course there are exceptions.

James Simmons